quarta-feira, 29 de julho de 2020

Cauliflower Pasty

Hello!
I've made this Cauliflower Pasty - Thick puff pastry filled with delicious warm, creamy cauliflower - mmmmmmm to save some puff pastry I had in my fridge and guess what? It turned out really yummy ^_^
I'm going to be honest here regarding the recipe: I don't remember the quantities I used because I eyeballed practically everything, because the amount of filling will depend on how much puff pastry you've got!
So, sorry guys, no recipe here, just the ingredients I used.
So, as the description says, I used puff pastry (although I am almost certain that pasties are made with another type of pastry that is not puff pastry... moving on...) and for the filling I used cauliflower of course, onion, garlic and ginger paste, milk, cheese, duck fat, butter, flour, salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
I started by cooking the minced onions and garlic and ginger paste on duck fat and butter, just until the onions were translucent, I added the flour to make a rue and then the milk to make a bechamel. Then I added the cauliflower cut into smaller florets and then I added some cheese. I seasoned it with salt, pepper and a bit of nutmeg and then I let it cool before making the pasty.
After cooling down I rolled out the pastry with a circular shape, added the filling to half the pastry, folded the other half over the filling and closed it with the distinctive twist of the pasties borders. I transferred it to a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper and put it in the oven at about 200ºC. until the puff pastry was cooked (20 minutes, give or take).
Before diving in I had to wait a bit because the filling was piping hot! But dude... that thing was pretty satisfying and delicious! Who would thought it, hey??? Cauliflower..... :P I'm only kidding... did I ever mentioned I love food and there is almost nothing I dislike??? Two exceptions: escargot and sea urchin (and of course I'm not talking about some foreign foods that make me sick to my stomach, either gastronomically or even moral/ethically). But I know most people usually look down on greens and vegetables so... don't ditch the cauliflower just yet, try this! ;)
Enjoy!

The food will be rated from 1 to 5 stars, meaning:
⭐ - This could be part of gross foods! Ugh :(
⭐⭐ - Waste of ingredients but edible...
⭐⭐⭐ - Ok. Not my favourite thing but also not that bad
⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Now this has a lot of neopotential :D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Wow! Was this created by fairies?! Yummy!
Now remember that this is, obviously, my opinion only ;)

Cauliflower Pasty - ⭐⭐⭐⭐ - Four stars because it deserved it! It was creamy, the cauliflower was velvety and the cheese gave it that richness, just enough to keep you satisfied. The onion basically disintegrated during the cooking processes so it added a lot of flavour this way and we all know that you can't go wrong with cheese, onion and garlic, right? Just add in some cauliflower and this is what you get! Delicious ^_^

*This image was taken from and belongs to Neopets.






1 comentário:

  1. I love using duck fat!
    Personally allergic/sensitive to onion&garlic so would sub, but I might try this if I ever get my hands on some gluten-free pastry (that *doesn't* have potato or soy or corn in it, lol.)

    ResponderEliminar